Calvin Johnson wanted to leave Detroit, but they wouldn't let him

JonesYJ

Calvin Johnson did not want to finish his career out with the Lions, he instead wanted to finish with another team. But, the Lions wouldn't let him leave. It kind of reminds me of what is happening with Rodgers in Green Bay.

Their relationship is still on the rocks, but the Lions want to sort it out, as they believe he's part of the Lions family.

Read about it here - MSN

That's why he retired, because he wasn't going to play for that team anymore. They let a guy retire instead of letting him live out his career. Imagine if we had him back then.

I wouldn't blame him. But honestly, having him on the Browns back then, wouldn't have made enough of a difference. There was more to the problems, and I doubt Johnson would have helped enough. It probably would have been another situation like in Detroit.

Yeah dude, I would have wanted to leave Detroit. I hate when teams hold a player to their contract. If they want out, let them move on. I think it's worse to hear all the stories about disgruntled players. It never works out in the long run.

Of course they wouldn't let the guy go. He's megatron and they weren't going to let him go elsewhere. Which sucks, because I bet he would have had another 5 years or more.

Of course they wouldn't let the guy go. He's megatron and they weren't going to let him go elsewhere. Which sucks, because I bet he would have had another 5 years or more.
It's just sad that they kind of forced him to an early retirement. If it hadn't been for them holding on to him all this time, he probably would have been around today yet. He's 35 I think, so he could be near the end of his career today if he had stayed. And who know if he would have been with the Lions. Maybe they would have let him go the year later. Ya never know.

It's just sad that they kind of forced him to an early retirement. If it hadn't been for them holding on to him all this time, he probably would have been around today yet. He's 35 I think, so he could be near the end of his career today if he had stayed. And who know if he would have been with the Lions. Maybe they would have let him go the year later. Ya never know.
And that's something the Lions organization has to deal with. Because 1, Johnson is not happy with the Lions and their relationship has been in ruin for years now.

It also makes the Lions look bad for it imo.

Man, it really makes you hate a team when they don't let someone go. Especially when it results in the dude deciding to retire instead. I would have loved to see what he was capable of on another team.

Man, it really makes you hate a team when they don't let someone go. Especially when it results in the dude deciding to retire instead. I would have loved to see what he was capable of on another team.
Yeah, it's never good to hold a player hostage, or to force them play. Even though he was probably under contract, I think they should have let him go play somewhere else. Or at the least, traded him for some good players or some draft picks. Who knows what the Lions could have been if they traded Johnson for others or some draft picks.

If the Lions cared about him, they would have let him go somewhere else. He wasn't going to go anywhere in Detroit. And I think Detroit knew that. They just wanted to keep a star talent to bring in more fans. I mean, being one of the best receivers in the league, draws attention.

They didn't want to lose that, but instead, they caused him to retire instead.

That's Detroit for ya, they only care about that cash money, and would rather a player retire than let him go elsewhere.

That's why I've always hated the idea of signing a contract, because you're technically stuck in it.